Thursday, April 12, 2012

It's In The Rain

There's something peaceful about sitting in bed, wrapped up in blankets, listening to the steady patter of rain on a cold night. I don't know if it's the soothing slish-slosh nature sounds, or the coolness of temperature the rain brings with it, or just the wonderful feeling of being nice and warm and cosy in my bed. Whatever it is, it's so peaceful...it feels like all is right in the world, and it's a nice breather from the sometimes overwhelming hustle and bustle of everyday life.

When I think of rain, I think of little droplets of water showering blessings on Earth, rejuvenating and renewing everything it touches. I don't particularly like to get caught in it - unless I'm in a swimsuit, I don't exactly relish getting wet outside the confines of my bathroom shower - but I love to listen to it, and I love to watch the lightning flashes and hear the thunder rolling. A rainstorm is such magnificent evidence of the good Lord's almighty power.

Even rainstorms are of different types, have you noticed? You could get a light, ten-minute drizzle that just makes everything humid or a steady downpour that soaks everything without any flashy displays. Or you could have the full-blown thunderstorm, with howling winds ripping up trees and knocking things off tables, and blazing lightning flashes that light up the sky with bright silver-purple every ten seconds, and thunder roaring loud enough to make you think those old children's tales were true and there really are giants in the sky throwing pianos down the stairs.

But for me, the best type of rain is the one that's coming down outside my window now - the type that's moderate, not too light, not too heavy - the type that cools everything down with only occasional, small-scale flashes of lightning and soft thunder so muted it's practically a soothing rumble, like your pet cat's purr. I love that type of rain - it's my favorite because it's so calm and serene and comforting, and it reminds me that nature isn't always loud and flashy and brilliant.

Sometimes, it's the little things, the small things that gently make their presence known, that make for the best feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment